I mentioned previously that my family and I are on a mission to start living more self sufficiently. I have been avidly researching ways to save $ and time. We aren’t looking for a “cheaper” way to do things, but a more efficient way to do things. In my search I have really discovered some amazing ideas and tips. This is my most recent treasure I have stumbled upon. A recipe for all purpose cleaner that cost less than 2 pennies for a 32oz spray bottle! I was skeptical at first but after trying it out, I am in love! I will never ever waste my money on the other brands.
Here is what you need
- Dawn Liquid Dish Detergent
- White Vinegar
-Refillable Squirt Bottle
I used a 32 oz squirt bottle.
First Fill your bottle up with warm water. Add a few drops of Dawn.You really only need a few drops! I added a little to much the first time and it left a soapy residue when I cleaned with it. When you add the drops it should change the color of the water just barely. Next add about a Table Spoon of Vinegar. and about a Table Spoon of Baking soda. Shake your bottle up to mix the ingredients thoroughly. That’s it! The measurements of the ingredients really don’t have to be precise. Just as long as you don’t over do it on any of the ingredients it should be fine.
I tried my new cleaner on a number of different areas in the house to see what it worked on. The first thing I tackled was the base boards. I have kids running back and forth through the house all the time which tracks in a ton of dust and dirt. My base boards were BAD. I sprayed the cleaner on them and let it set for about 60 seconds. when I wiped it with a damp rag it came right off! Usually I would have to scrub the live out of those things to get the black dirt off of them.
Next I tried it on my doors and cabinets. You know that grimy look they get after dirty hands have smeared on them….Well you do if you have kids. Here is a before picture of the door. I sprayed the cleaner on and let it set for about 10 seconds.
When I wiped the door all the grime came right off. No scrubbing needed!
I tried it on the faucet to see how well it shined up stainless steel. It worked like a charm.
I even tried it on the mirror. It wasn’t the best glass cleaner but with a little extra wiping it did work without leaving streaks. I think for glass I will stick with Window cleaner until I find a recipe for that too.
Well there you have it folks. Give it a try. I am telling you, you will not be disappointed. I was wondering even if I could add a drop of essential oil or even vanilla to give a little bit of a scent. The cleaner its self doesn’t have much of a scent to it at all. It has a hint of the Dawn scent but just barely. I kind of enjoy scented cleaner so I might try to add some smell good stuff to it next time.
Enjoy folks! Ill be posting more self sufficient ideas! I think I might try a few DIY laundry detergent recipes next.
I thought I should add this since it was brought to my attention by a comment made on the post. I hadn’t considered the toxicity of the cleaner since my children have outgrown the worry of drinking unknown substances. But for those of you with small children this is something that should be addressed, So thanks for bringing it to my attention. After looking up the ingredients used the only potentially toxic ingredient would be Triclosan. Triclosan is the active ingredient in Dawn dish detergent. Triclosan is also found in other household items like toothpaste. Triclosan is an anti-bacterial agent, it has been shown to cause harm to the environment and has been linked to some adverse side effects after long term exposure. Since there is literally no more than 2 drops of Dawn per 360z of water this cleaner is virtually non-toxic. If your child consumed the entire 36oz bottle it wouldn’t poison them. If your child consumed the entire bottle on a regular basis it could cause possible long term negative effects. If you get the cleaner on your skin it is not cause for concern at all, unless you are allergic to any of the ingredients. All in all this cleaner is not one to cause concern, at least to my knowledge all the the ingredients are ingredients that we consume on a regular basis. To be safe you should treat it the same as any other household cleaner and keep it out of reach of children. Like anything you don’t know if you child is allergic to the ingredients, not only that but it would not be a safe practice to allow your children to handle household cleaner at a young age. I would not recommend ingesting the cleaner either .